Queensland Alumina Ltd (QAL)

The world's largest alumina refinery with access to a deep-water port

RUSAL owns 20% of QAL and the other 80% stake belongs to Rio Tinto Alcan

The company’s infrastructure includes a wharf and storage facilities on South Trees Island in Gladstone harbour

Alumina production began in March 1967

Annual production capacity
4,000,000 tonnes of alumina
Production share
619 tonnes of alumina (RUSAL's share)
Production technology
The Bayer process
ISO 14001 (environmental management standard), ISO 9001 (quality management standard), AS4801 (health and safety standard)
1,150 people